Thursday, March 25, 2010

My career focus

The majority of my blog posts are informative. I thank everyone for your responses and words of encouragement. I am going to make this post a bit more self serving. You see, I have just earned the PRM designation which means Professional Risk Manager. Its sponsor is PRMIA the Professional Risk Managers' International Association. That being accomplished and the job market improving, it is time to more aggressively market myself.

A recurring theme in my career is helping business transactions get done. The most successful transactions are where each party receives what they value most and gives the other party those elements that have a higher value to them. In other words, understand the risk reward equation for each party then design a transaction that maximizes the total value.

A second theme is helping companies save money by reducing unnecessary risk and helping them work more efficiently.

A third is my belief that core business values do not change but tools and technologies do. I enjoy change and eagerly incorporate improved techniques into my engagements.

I have a small family real estate operational risk consulting firm that I am closing to join a larger organization. To prepare to shift my delivery model, I have pursued designations in several of my core competencies, Six Sigma Black Belt BB in process improvement, Project Management Professional PMP and Professional Risk Manager PRM.

My accomplishments and continuing education speak to my focus and flexibility.

A particular interest is an area called Operational Risk OR. Roughly, this most risk that is not Market or Credit. This is a growing area of concern. For example, under the BIS Basel II accord large banks must account for Operational Risks in their Capital Reserve calculations. Unfortunately, there are no generally accepted metrics or best practices and the Federal Reserve has yet to publish guidelines. GRC initiatives are not yet robust enough to fulfill Basel II OR documentation requirements. The gradual adoption of approaches including the COSO framework incorporates OR to help put the Risk component into GRC solutions. I have the insights to help institutions formulate and implement compliance and risk knowledge strategies.

No comments: