Monday, August 06, 2007

Transitioning To Consulting

I have been blessed with the opportunity to take a hiatus from the corporate world. My challenge has been to direct my efforts to that of a full time, stay at home dad. This period of my life has been one of my most rewarding experiences. With few exceptions such as myself, only a mother can truly understand what a difficult, yet rewarding job this is. The how I got there has to do with the events of September 11, 2001 which I will not go into here.

We decided that I would invest my time in our family while my wife continued working full time. While this has been a rewarding experience for our family, life goes on. It is now time for our daughter to transition to having a nanny for the times we are not able to be there for her. She will move into a new chapter in her life as I embark on the next leg of my career.

As I discussed in a previous post, I am seeking my career home in consulting. Although I have been a trusted advisor consultant for fifteen years, none of that experience has been with a traditional management consulting firm. I am taking this opportunity to move into an industry that uniquely matches my approach to work and my lifestyle. I have elaborated on the thought process to arrive at this decision in several previous posts. Consulting will take me far from home, with long hours. It is a lifestyle far different from the one I enjoy now, but very similar to the one I left from my prior career with Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and First Boston. I am looking forward to helping new clients solve their most complex, vexing problems

As general consulting firms are a new space for me, I have expanded my self marketing efforts beyond the usual job board postings and calling one’s friends and colleagues. They would be fine for a lateral transition, but I have found them wanting for the new course I am taking. These include utilizing networks such as Facebook, Ecademy and especially Linkedin, where I am one of the one hundred most connected members. As I carefully think through problems before identifying a course of action, I found Six Sigma Black Belt training to be a natural credential to acquire. I have also found this blog helpful. Recruiters and contacts who have offered to help me have found this useful in getting a sense about me and why I am focused on this path.

The challenges of transitioning my career path to a new course are considerable, but, there are current and future benefits to it as well. I have made many new contacts, and more than a few friends who will be invaluable in my future endeavors.

If you like what I have written and would like to reach out to me, my contact information is on the right side of this page. I welcome your input.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good news

thank you

mahesh
(www.thinkingstreet.com)